Thursday, March 31, 2016

Welcome back everyone todays Blog is going to be on getting the temporary rights to the Song Layla.

So far that process has been a mess. Finding the company that owned Layla took a bit of research but we eventually found Atlantic records, the original owners of the song. However we latter found out that warner Brothers had purchased the song so we emailed them this in the hopes of obtaining the rights.  We titled it to Atlantic records because their email redirects to Warner Brothers anyway.

Atlantic Records,

Good afternoon, My name is Darren Naville and I am contacting you in behalf of my AICE Media Studies group. I am emailing you to ask if I can use the song Layla, by Derek and the Dominos, for a non-profit school project. This project is for the AICE media studies class at Cypress Bay High school. I hope to use your song in our film introduction which is the main component of our assignment. We would like to obtain rights to use the song for this one time only, as it is the only way we can use this song for our project. This video is for educational purposes only and we have no means or intentions to make a profit off of it or the song, we hope to use. As a sincere fan of the song I hope you consider granting us written consent to use it in our assignment. The assignment will be turned into our teacher and the Cambridge board for grading and will not be sold for material gain. Once again I hope you consider granting us consent to use your music and I hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you for your time,

Darren Naville

Hopefully they'll get back to us soon. We received an automated response to the email so at least they got it. However I'm not entirely satisfied with just contacting the record company especially because of our time constraints so I decided to look for an alternative. So I decided to try and contact the band members themselves, even if they can't give me the rights they must directly be abel to contact the people who can.  

Unfortunately most of the members of Derek and the Dominos are dead or have disappeared and only two of them still have functioning websites, Eric Clapton and Bobby Whitlock.  Both of them have news letters that periodically send emails so I subscribed to both of them, but I feel like emailing a robot isn't going to get us anywhere so I went even further and Directly emailed Bobby Whitlock. I think at this point one of the entities we emailed will respond soon. Ill be back with more on that latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment